The real value of Agility comes when it is implemented at the grass roots level

When I first read the Agile values and principles, I found it really easy to understand as it talks really the basic things. And I thought this is already there in me and i know really well. But I was wrong. There is a deep meaning of each and every values and principles and understanding and implementing it, is a difficult job.

But I took up the challenge and started learning about these and started implementing when I was just a software engineer. I volunteered for the role of Scrum Master and started applying these concepts.

I learned during the implementation phase that before helping other understand and influence, I need to convince myself why this is helpful and how it is benefiting me. For example, instead of sending a formal email to my test engineer, I started going to his desk and started having the better interaction. This saved a lot of my time as I don't have to explain in email and i can close that issue quickly by having a quick interaction.

This helped me took the next steps and when I joined a new organization I introduced the values and principles to management and did a pilot project following the agile principles/values. Initially, they were reluctant to bring this change but with a small pilot program they got the trust and allowed me to teach others and help everyone on this.

While this can be a easy task in small organization where you have less people to take approval and follow ups, in a bigger organization adopting the agility principle is a challenge. Large scale organization has to rely on a fixed process and bringing change requires lot of efforts. Though this is a challenge but i consider this an opportunity. Ultimately everyone wants a value in the effort spent and with small changes there is a possibility of bringing agility. In large scale organization, the key is to get the small group of people agree on the agility principles and then spread the word and success. This can influence the entire organization.But in this case the getting the result would be slow process but possible.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scrum Answer to Top 10 Software Project Risks